This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retired and need help ASAP

Michigan. I have been working at a major drug store (pharmacy tec)for 3 years now, since I started my hours have been between 8 and 16 per week. (Perfect because I am retired). I also filled in for other employees who are on vacation or ill 32-35 a week. In the last 2 weeks my employer has not put me on the schedule for any hours, but increased hours for employees who were hired in after me. Is this legal or should I just take it as I am fired or laid off??? Help Please!
    Last edited by corky621; 07-25-2005, 09:13 AM.

Yes, this is legal, unless he is failing to schedule you for any hours BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin etc.

You are not necessarily either fired or laid off. What did your employer say when you asked him about it?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I was told that a fulltime employee had to maintain 35 hours a week for her benifits. I was told they took my hours because the other employee performed. No other reason was given.

Comment

The law does not dictate what constitutes full time or part time; nor at how many hours per week an employee is eligible for benefits. That is entirely up to company policy.

If the other employee performs better that is an entirely legitimate reason for scheduling them for hours instead of you.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X