This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas paid break laws

I work at a retirement home that seems to be breaking all type of laws. First of all we are required to take 30 minute breaks that are not paid breaks. I was under the understanding that texas wage and hour laws where that for every 8 hour shift they where required to provide a 30 paid meal break. Thats not just it any of the nursing staff at work are required a 45 minute unpaid break. This unpaid meal break has become more of a burden than a blessing according to many co-workers. The kitchen loses 2.5 hours a week and the nursing staff loses
    3.75 hours a week. My understanding is many people pick up a sixth shift so they dont lose their full time benifits, so that totals 3 hours for kitchen and 4.5 hours for nursing. The icing on the cake is that many days we dont even get to take a break because of a overload pile of work. Even when we choose not to take a break to prevent falling behind we still have automaticly lose that time on our time card.

Second is a full time work situation

Im a recent father and depend on having full time hours being that i applyed to be a full time worker. I have only worked there since January 1, 2005 and two out of the seven months I was forced to work hours that did not total to a full time work week. This has made my bill paying fall short in ways that is destroying my credit. I am not the only one at work with this problem, many of my co-worker suffer from hours being cut on a regular basis. Ive known this is illegal in every state but i would like to know where I can go to fix this problem. I would like to get the help I need so this company atleast openly admits to breaking the law and fixes the injustice they put on every hard work employee when they force a temporary part time hours.

First of all we are required to take 30 minute breaks that are not paid breaks. I was under the understanding that texas wage and hour laws where that for every 8 hour shift they where required to provide a 30 paid meal break. Your understanding is incorrect. Neither federal nor Texas laws require that breaks be provided. Federal law states that IF breaks are provided, they must be paid if the break is under 20 minutes.

If your employer wishes to mandate a 30-minute unpaid break for everyone, they can.

The icing on the cake is that many days we dont even get to take a break because of a overload pile of work. Even when we choose not to take a break to prevent falling behind we still have automaticly lose that time on our time card. An employee who works through their break period must be paid for that time.

two out of the seven months I was forced to work hours that did not total to a full time work week. This has made my bill paying fall short in ways that is destroying my credit. I am not the only one at work with this problem, many of my co-worker suffer from hours being cut on a regular basis. Ive known this is illegal in every state but i would like to know where I can go to fix this problem. There is nothing illegal about this in any State. No laws prohibit employers from making changes to work schedules and the number of hours employees work as the employer deems necessary.

I would like to get the help I need so this company atleast openly admits to breaking the law and fixes the injustice they put on every hard work employee when they force a temporary part time hours. The only illegality that is occurring is if you and others are working through your breaks and not being compensated for that time. If your hours of work and/or wages aren't sufficient for your needs, then your recourse is to find another position elsewhere at a higher wage and/or steadier hours.

If you wish to lodge a complaint about not being paid for time worked, contact your State's Department of Labor.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X