This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 Hour Day

The last company I worked for, I used to work 24 hours plus in a single day. So I could easily work 30 hours. Ater 12 hours I would receive double-time, however my boss swore that after 24 hours on the clock I would be put back at single-time. Is this true?
    Josh in CA

Eligibility to overtime starts over at the beginning of each new work day. So, for example, if a company's established workday is 12:01 a.m. to 12:00 midnight, that 24-hour period is the workday. In California, hours worked over 8 in a workday are paid at time and a half, and hours worked over 12 in a workday are paid at double time.

Comment

No

I worked 30 hour days... not 30 hours a week... 30 hours straight time.
      30 hours in one day. He says after 24 hours I dont get double time.

Comment

I think, unfortunately, that your supervisor is right. There can be no more than 24 hours in a workday. And, the company establishes when the workday stops and starts, although they can't change the workday from one week to the next. The workday should be published in your handbook (if the re is a handbook). What I'm saying is, the workday starts over each 24 hours, and overtime calculation starts over again with each new workday. When you say you worked 30 hours in a day, my undestanding is that you worked 30 hours straight, but you would have spanned two workdays in doing that. As soon as you hit the 25th hour, overtime calculation started over and you would have to work eight plus hours in the new workday to get more overtime.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X