This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of pay rate Colorado

My Employeer recently told me my rate of pay would be changing (lower) and that we would meet to go over the details. It has taken three weeks to set the meeting. Now they are trying to change the rate retro to the day they told me it would be changing and pay me less for work I have already done. They did not tell me the new amount until the meeting that took three weeks to get. (I requested this meeting every day since) I am not accepting the offer and will be resigning. Also durring this time I did not get a paycheck at all as a paydate has passed in the confusion.

To the best of my knowlege while a pay cut is legal in any state, in your state (and all but one other that I know of) you must be notified of the cut before you work any hours at the new rate. While you can be required to take a pay cut, you cannot be required to take it retroactively.

Contact the state DOL to file a complaint.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

If Colorado wage and hour laws require the employer to notify the employee of the wage reduction in advance of working any hours at the reduced rate (as some Sates do), you'll find that here: http://www.coworkforce.com/LAB/Wage%20Act.pdf

Sorry - I didn't have time to read through the Act and find the anwer to your question. If there is no mention of an advance notice requirement, then the employer does not have to provide any.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X