This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Between Shifts

I know it's far fetched, but i was wondering if there are any laws about time worked between shifts. I live in Texas, work retail, and often have to work until 12:30 am then come back at 6. This causes me to have to work a total of 18-19 hours in a 24 hour time period.

Time Between Shifts

There isn't any law for an employer to observe a certain number of hours as off time between shifts for a person in a job as you described.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Minimum time off between shifts

Is there a law (Texas or OSHA) that specifies a minimum time off between getting off work and reporting again?

Comment

Well, this thread already reported no to the Texas law issue. That hasn't changed. The only thing there might be are profession-specific requirements such as those mandated by the FAA, DOT, etc. What do you do?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

My sons work for a fast food chain. They close the store on Sunday nights getting off at 3am (sometimes later) and are expected to be back for a 9am managers meeting. Sometimes (as in today) expected to start their next shift at 11am (right after the meeting).

I almost lost one son in a similar circumstance when he fell asleep at the wheel less than a block from home. Thank God he was alright but he did total out a 3 day old brand new car. This son has refused to attend the 9am managers meeting since the accident and his store moved the meetings to a later time. Now I'm dealing with the other son and another store.

Law or no law, it's not safe. I'm looking for something to assist me in keeping my boys safe.

Thanks in advance.
          Russ

Comment

Russ, your concerns are well-founded but what your boys need to do is find different jobs with more reasonable working hours.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X