Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Paycheck withheld

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Paycheck withheld

    I am a salary employee in Texas and I fill out a time sheet for the purpose of billable hours. One week I was late turning in this form (not an ongoing problem) and the payroll department said I would not be paid. Turns out they had my time sheet and had misplaced it. What does the law saw about an employer withholding your paycheck, can they do this to me for any reason?

  • #2

    Texas statutes say, "§ 61.019. FAILURE TO PAY WAGES; CRIMINAL PENALTY. (a)
    An employer commits an offense if:
    (1) at the time of hiring an employee, the employer
    intends to avoid payment of wages owed to the employee; and
    (2) the employer fails after demand to pay those
    (b) An employer commits an offense if the employer:
    (1) intends to avoid payment of wages owed to an
    (2) intends to continue to employ the employee; and
    (3) fails after demand to pay those wages.
    (c) An employer commits a separate offense under Subsection
    (b) for each pay period during which the employee earns wages that
    the employer fails to pay.
    (d) An offense under this section is a felony of the third

    Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 269, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993. Amended
    by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1158, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1997."

    However, it also says that the employer doesn't need to pay an exempt employee more than once per month. It is not clear which statute takes precedent over the other. My suggestion is that you contact the state for a definitive answer.
    Lillian Connell

    Forum Moderator


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.