Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Not given same pay as male when hired for same job

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not given same pay as male when hired for same job

    I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and I am a teacher. When I was looking for a job several years ago, a co-worker of mine was also looking. We ended up being offered a job (the same kind of job) in the same district. Neither of us had worked in a school yet, only in adult services (at the exact same place for part of our employment). We are also exactly the same age. Anyway, they gave him years of credit for his years in adult services. When I went to go talk about my salary, they wouldn't even discuss it with me. She said that they don't give any credit like that and we aren't even going to talk about it. I really wanted the job, so I didn't make a fuss. After working at this job for about 2 years, they hired another guy that had worked in adult services. I went and asked him if they gave him credit and they DID!! This occured after I was told they don't "do that" and I feel this is very unfair. I know there is a huge difference between unfair and illegal. Is this legal? I feel they were offered credit and I wasn't because I am a woman and they are men and they always want more men than women. Thank you in advance.

  • #2

    This could be a case of illegal discrimination. You should look at the following website to understand it further: If, after reading it, you still feel that you are a victim of discrimination, you can file a claim with the EEOC.
    Lillian Connell

    Forum Moderator


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.