This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma Help Me! Did I do Wrong?

My daughter 17 years old, on school night clocked out at 9:45pm, and they would not let her leave, until everyone left. So, she sat there, along with 3 others off the clock, while the manager, and one other worked. They said it was policy when the doors were locked at 9:00 that no one could leave until everyone leaves. It would be ok, if they paid her to sit there, but if she is not getting paid they should let her leave. So I went up to get her, she asked to leave, and the manager said that she would get fired if she let her leave. So, I had to call the police to get her out by 11:30. The Policeman was talking to the manager, as my daughter was listening along with others, the manager yeld at her, "you need to leave" She turned to me crying, because she feels she is in deep trouble over, what her mother did. She is very mad at me, because she believes that they are going to cut her hours, or make it so that she would quit. So, the others that were off the clock came out as well. and one was jumping for joy that she was free. I ask her how long have they been doing this. She said she had been working for a year, and she always had to stay, even if she was off the clock. I think this is wrong, can anyone tell me the laws for this........
    Last edited by Littlebit; 02-01-2005, 12:16 AM.

Off the Clock

I believe that this would be considered illegal under federal law. Though she could use her time as she wished, she was not permitted to leave. This is called waiting time. I believe that your daughter should talk to the US Department of Labor. Their website is at: http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs22.htm

By the way, I know this doesn't help, but I thought that I would let you know, my teenage son gets mad at me if I even laugh around his friends....typical teenage behavior.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Originally posted by LConnell
      I believe that this would be considered illegal under federal law. Though she could use her time as she wished, she was not permitted to leave. This is called waiting time. I believe that your daughter should talk to the US Department of Labor. Their website is at: http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs22.htm

By the way, I know this doesn't help, but I thought that I would let you know, my teenage son gets mad at me if I even laugh around his friends....typical teenage behavior.
      Thank you for the reply, and I will check the web site.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X