This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pa

i was wonering i work 40hrs a week and now my job says that i have to work at least 49.5 hrs in a month time to work on call. meaning then they need you to work extra can they do this to me.. there is times that i have to work from 4am till 4pm or even till 8pm on the road non stop..
    Last edited by phleb001; 01-31-2005, 11:44 AM.

Originally posted by phleb001
    i was wonering i work 40hrs a week and now my job says that i have to work at least 49.5 hrs in a month time to work on call. meaning then they need you to work extra can they do this to me.. there is times that i have to work from 4am till 4pm or even till 8pm on the road non stop..

Hi. If you are in interstate truck driving or a few other professions, then a company can require you to be on the job more than 40 hours a week.

You need to be paid for the hours you actually work, and OT for any hours over 40 in a work week.
    Sue
    FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

i work as a phlebotomist, give you more of an idea i worked 4am till 12pm
      then i was on call at 8pm worked till 3:30 this morning and had to be back at work for 4am and have to work till 12pm
      thanks

Comment

On-Call Pay

Your employer does not have to pay you for being on-call unless you are so restricted that you do not have any flexibility in the use of your time. For example, if you must stay at your employers' work waiting for work, then that would be too restrictive and you must be paid. However, if you have enough flexibility that you can go to the store, go to the movies, etc., then you do not need to be compensated on-call pay.

Of course, you must be paid for the time you actually work, i.e., respond to the call.
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Originally posted by phleb001
          i work as a phlebotomist, give you more of an idea i worked 4am till 12pm
          then i was on call at 8pm worked till 3:30 this morning and had to be back at work for 4am and have to work till 12pm
          thanks
          Yes, that is still legal. There is no required "in between shifts" time for your profession.

It is unfortunate and a serious concern for all parties concerned and is being looked into, but so far, no laws have been created to give the needed break to those who have to go so long without sleep or a break.

Best wishes,
          Sue
          Sue
          FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X