Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Pay adjustment

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pay adjustment


    I recently took a decrease in my hourly rate. I was never told when my new pay rate would take effect. On my pay check for this week, it has my new pay rate, but it is also adjusted for the previous week which I have already been paid at my old pay rate. My question is, can my employer take back what they have already paid me?

  • #2
    Recovery of Overpayment

    It is illegal under California Labor Code 221.Your employer may not recover overpayment of wages. It says, "It shall be unlawful for any employer to collect or receive from any employee any wage paid theretofore paid by said employer to employee."

    You can make a claim to the state. The process to file a claim may be found at:
    Lillian Connell

    Forum Moderator


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.