This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equal Pay Act? Virginia

I'm a certified pharmacy tech for a chain pharmacy in Virginia. I've worked for this company for 2 years and have had a total 35 cent annual raise. Other women, that have worked the same amount of time as I, have been given a 1 to 2 dollar raise. When I inquire about being increased to the same amount as everyone else, they say there isn't enough in the budget. However, one woman just received a 2 dollar increase this week. Is there anything in the equal pay act to verify this as unlawful?

Equal Pay Act

This practice may not be illegal. Employers can pay people in the same job different rates of pay based on a number of factors, such as time in the job, experience, skills, performance, etc. Many factors are legal unless the reason for the difference is discrimination on the basis of protected statuses such as age, race, religion, disability, national origin, gender or any other statuses protected by law. Another illegal reason for differences is in retaliation for a person protecting his or her legal rights, such as filing a complaint of discrimination.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X