This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding florida labor law?

I have recently started a job working for the Olive Garden here in Florida! I usually work a 10 hour shift as a waitress, and am not given one single break!
    I am not even given time to eat a meal during my shift? When i inquired about this to my boss, I was told that they are not required to give me a break, regardless of how many hours I work. This does not seem right to me? If anyone could give me any guidance on this, I would greatly appreciate it! Also, you could please direct me to any site that would allow me to print any documentation proving my case?
    Thanks!

Florida

There isn't any requirement in Florida to offer a break or a meal period. With that understanding, I assume you don't need a site proving that breaks and meal periods are not required.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Being Told Otherwise

I have been employed with the same Florida employer for the last 2 yrs - We had a no lunch/dinner break policy & were allowed to munch at our desks in place of lunch/dinner break - Last week we were told the Florida Labor Laws on this issue have been amended & we are now being required to take a non-paid-for 1/2hr lunch/dinner break when working 6hrs or more per day - I can not find this ammendment anywhere - Also, we were being paid bi-monthly (15th & 31st) based on a yearly pay structure - We have now been told this too has been amended in Florida & only supervisor/management employees can be paid in this fashion - We are now being paid on an 80hr pay period, yet still receiving our checks on the 15 & 31st, with a "quarterly catch-up" check for the pay difference between 80hr paychecks vs our yearly pay structure - This does not sound right to me - And again, I can not find anything in print - Can you direct me to anything regarding these 2 issues???
      Last edited by carol32817; 01-20-2005, 08:34 PM. Reason: bad grammer

Comment

Florida

Florida does not have a break or meal requirement with the exception to the latter for minors.

Nothing in Florida law requires the change that is described. I have attached a link to a copy of the Florida labor statutes if you want to look yourself: http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...448/ch0448.htm
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Can you direct me to a spot where I can find that a luch break is not required. The link you had in your last post just said that 10 hr days are considered full work days. I am being forced totake a 1/2 hr lunch even though I arrive 30 minutes after everyone else and I have nothing to do for the 20 minutes after I eat. I need to give my supervisor proof that there is no law stating i MUST take a 30 minute lunch. Thank you.

Julia
          Last edited by Juliab1; 02-16-2005, 02:27 PM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X