Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Salaried employee question(s) Nebraska

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Salaried employee question(s) Nebraska

    I was hired as a salaried employee with 5 days vacation and 1 bereavement was explained that salary would work better and not having to clock in and out. So I recently have lost a immediate member of the family and have been in and out of work for a couple of days. Is my compensation adjustable for the times that I have been out? HR wants me to use vacation time to fill in those times when I was out. Please advise.

  • #2
    Are you salaried exempt or just salaried (i.e you still get some type of OT wages if you work over 40 hours per week)? Just being asked not to clock in or out and deeming you as "salaried" doesn't mean much. Exemptions are based on job duties not convenience (so it is possible you are misclassified if you are exempt and not paid OT) Either way, wage deductions are limited for time not worked.

    However, your employer can require that you use vacation days/hours to make up for time missed. The law pretty much is just that they have to pay you, and doesn't care from which bucket they pay from. Paid time off is truly at the whim of the employer and none is required by federal wage laws. If you run out of vacation/PTO, and miss a full day due to personal reasons , they can dock your salary for a full day. If it is due to sickness and they have a bonafide sick pay plan and you run out of sick pay, they can dock your salary.

    here are a couple of good links with more explanations:


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.