Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

wages for a specific degree? California

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • wages for a specific degree? California

    is there a law that says that if a person is a certain profession, and has that degree or license, the must be paid at lease x amount of above?

    and if there is, where would I find this information.

    we provide patients with caregivers, license vocational nurses, and registered nurses.

    they all make above minimum wage.

    thank you

  • #2
    Your only real minimums are the ones under FLSA or state wages laws (minimum wage/OT or the minimum salary to be considered exempt). Past that, it would possibly be covered in a union agreement or contract (if such existed and it is not a law that there must be one). And then it just gets back to what the economic wage market will bear. If you aren't paying enough, you will see good employees leave for higher paying jobs and have higher turnover and training costs. Or you won't be able to recruit good ones at all.

    Your best bet on what is "normal" is to find a compensation study done for the industry that takes into account factors like experience, education, etc.


    • #3
      As long as minimum wage has been met, you are legally clear. The law does not care whether or not someone has a degree or license. There are jobs with no degree requirement which pay very well (athlete, actor, electrician) and ones requiring extensive degrees and licensing which do not (social worker, teacher).
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.