Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Unpaid lunch but required to work Wyoming

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unpaid lunch but required to work Wyoming

    I work for a small business that requires me to work form 7-330 pm. A half hour is taken out of my day for lunch. They do not require me to clock out and take it whenever I can. Most of the time I work alone over seeing the facility and helping any customers, answering phones, etc. I can not leave during my break and must be available during the whole time I'm at work. My question is this unpaid break legal? If it is not who do I contact to dispute these unpaid hours. I've worked for the company for a year and a half, will they be required to back pay me?

  • #2
    Your state is not my state, but the general answer would be to file a wage claim with state DOL. I am not familiar with WY state DOL (or whatever it is called), but this is how this situation is handled in most states. A small claims court action is a possibility in those states with no or useless state DOL. A federal wage claim with federal DOL is also possible but such a claim would be for minimum wage and/or overtime only.
    Last edited by DAW; 11-03-2014, 07:24 AM.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


    • #3
      Agree, file a wage claim with the Wyoming Dept. of Work Force Services:
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.