Can My employer Fine Me? Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can My employer Fine Me? Maryland

If I generate a good CSI score over a month I get a bonus, but if I do not score high enough to get the bonus ($750) he takes $350 out of my pay. Is that legal?

Maybe.
    - What is CSI (other then a TV show)?
    - Not paying a bonus is mostly legal if done correctly. Docking wages are legally more problemlatic. Example, Bob works in a state with the same MW as the feds ($7.25). Bob works exactly 40 hours this workweek. Under federal law, Bob must be paid at least MW, which is 40 times $7.25/hr = $290. Unless Bob is Outside Sales, it is not legally possible to pay Bob less then MW. Now if Bob is normally paid say $15/hr, or $600, then a $250 docking would leave $350, which would not violate federal law. I do not know enough about MD law to have an opinion on that. I have not read any documents involved, which also may be of interest. The best I can say is that if MW/OT is paid even with the deduction then the feds are not interested. If state MW/OT rules are being followed AND everything is spelled out ahead of time, then likely the state does not care either. I am in CA, which is generally considered the most employee friendly state, and as long as MW/OT rules are followed, and everything is well spelled out ahead of time, what you describe would not be interently illegal. Of course, a dumb employer can mess up almost anything.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

CSI is customer service index. Usually involved customer surveys reporting how an employee performed during a transaction.

Comment

Is the employer taking the $350 out of the bonus or reducing your pay on a going forward basis so that it amounts to $350 less than you wouls make if your scores were acceptable? If so, that is legal.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X