Break law! Am I right or am I wrong? Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break law! Am I right or am I wrong? Kentucky

With out my employer knowing what time I may get off work today.. She said I had to take a hour break at 11:30am when I had just got there at 8am. She said that is just how they do things. It was included I am not allowed to take even a 5 min break on busy days. Or even a break at all. I ended up clocking out at 2:40. From experience with other employers I did not need to take a hour break just a 30min or a 15min with pay. What is the law? Am I misinformed or am I in correct understanding? Thank you for your time and I hope to get a response back soon.

Kentucky law requires a minimum of the following:

1) one ten minute paid break for every four hours you work
    2.) one half hour unpaid meal break, not before the third hour you work and not later than the fifth

The employer MAY require that you take more time than that. He cannot require that you take less.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank for your response.

Did I have to take that hour break?

Comment

That is up to the employer.

Comment

If your employer required you to/told you to, then yes. Your employer can require you to take more time than required by law. (unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary)
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If the employer says you have to, then you have to. An employer can require that you take more, or longer breaks, than the law requires; just not less.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

That's 3 of us that agree.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

In a perfect world, I could pick the job I wanted, get payed as much as I want, work the hours I say, and not even have to show up if the mood strikes me.

HMMM, what do I want to do today, and how much should they pay me?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X