This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call in and report pay California

I work armed security in California. We were once guaranteed 40 hrs but due to changes in the contract we now get called off of some shifts due to amount of work.

Last week I left my house at 3:00PM for my 4:00 shift. My post was about 20 miles away that day and I like to make sure that I dont get caught in traffic so I try to leave about an hour before.

While on the freeway my employer called me at 3:10. My employer is claiming that you must be at your post in order to get the "call in and report pay" of 4 hours. Is that true? I was technically in the act of reporting.

I have not been able to find any law that explains this more fully. If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated. Links to the actual section that explains this would be nice.

CA has industry specific regulations called Wage Orders. Reporting time pay is covered by Section 5 of the Wage Orders. So basically a regulation and not a statutory law. I do not know the answer to the specific point you raise.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/iwc/WageOrderIndustries.htm
    http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_ReportingTimePay.htm
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I had already read through that FAQ. All of the examples deal with employees that are already clocked in.

I can't find anything about being on the way to work or even showing up without clocking in.

Comment

This is one for which you may need to call and get an opinion from the DLSE. Theirs is the only opinion that counts, in any case.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
          This is one for which you may need to call and get an opinion from the DLSE. Theirs is the only opinion that counts, in any case.
          Its seems as though all the numbers are recordings. Is there any way to talk to a live person or leave a message? Or do I just have to go to an office?

Comment

Is there any office close by?
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
              Is there any office close by?
              There is one not too far away. Hopefully I'll be able to get there in the next few days.

Comment

That might be your best bet.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X