This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not paid by Subway Pennsylvania

My daughter was employed by (a fast food place) and when she Quit her job with notice, she was cheated out of some of her pay. Since she only made minimum wage the money isn't there to hire a lawyer. After she talked to a few other current and ex employees, she discovered this is common practice there. The owner of this store has 5 locations and doesn't use time clocks. Also he would skim a couple hours off the employee's checks every week. since there was not a record in individual stores of hours, only those that kept track of their hours would get paid. This was only after much argument. Does she have any recourse?
    Last edited by cbg; 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM.

Your daughter doesn't need a lawyer. She should contact your State's Department of Labor/wage and hour division and file a complaint.

Comment

Yes, it's free to file a wage claim; you don't need a lawyer.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=563209&mode=2

Comment

Check her agreement

I can't say about Pennsylvania, but it is fairly common in the South for franchisees of that particular chain to have a standardized employment agreement that provides for binding arbitration for any pay disputes. (I've mostly seen that in franchises owned by attorneys, naturally). Again, don't know about PA (we miss you, Patty), but the State may not be able to process a claim for unpaid wages if there is an arbitration agreement.

Just sayin'
        Last edited by Texas709; 06-28-2011, 12:38 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Just a thought but I am pretty sure if we are talking MW/OT obligations only and federal law and federal DOL only, then these obligations cannot be legally waived and any agreement that tried to go around this would be illegal on it's face. Now if we are talking PA law, then not my state and no idea.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

http://www.workplacefairness.org/wag...m-PA?agree=yes
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X