Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

when your fired Florida

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • when your fired Florida

    In florida, if im fired from a job do i have to turn in company keys before i recieve my last check?

  • #2
    This is complicated. The short answer is that there is no relation between these two situations. You are required to hand in the keys, period, no exceptions, no matter what you employer does or does not do. The employer is required to pay out the final check in a "timely" manner irrespective of getting their keys back. It is possible for the employer to deduct the "cost" of the keys from the final check as long as minimum wage rules are not violated.

    Having said that, the State of Florida does not care if you get paid. They have no DOL. FL is maybe the most anti-employee state in the country. If you do not get paid, your primary recourse is small claims court. The one venue where your holding back the keys makes you the bad guy, not the employer.

    Hand in the keys NOW. You are hurting no one but yourself by keeping the keys. If the employer still does not pay you, go to small claims court. But you want to make sure that before you take the employer to court, that they are bad guy, not you.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


    • #3
      Why would you want to hold the keys? Just turn them in & get your check.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.