This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New payroll company - none of the direct deposits went through Nevada

My company switched payroll companies a few weeks ago. The first week, most direct deposits went through without issue, and people whose direct deposits did not go through were given paper checks.

This week, no direct deposits went through. It remains to be seen if we'll be issued paper checks today or if we will wait for the dd issue to be sorted out and receive our pay Monday.

My company is facing financial issues, so we're all a bit concerned and, quite frankly, not trusting what they're telling us.

1) Is it typical within the payroll world for dd's to work one pay period and not the next?
    2) If we're not paid until Monday, can we each file a claim with the DOL? (Not worth the bother, imho, but still asking.)

Thank you!

Nevermind, fire's out.

Our dd's should be in by 5 pm, and we'll be reimbursed for any fees.

Forgive the knee-jerk post. A lot of people were upset, and I wanted to make sure my contributions to the water-cooler chatter were accurate.

Thank you!

Comment

FYI, If a payroll file is not sent in a timely manner then direct deposits can be delayed.

Comment

Ah, that makes sense too. We're all (ok, maybe not ALL) willing to accept a few kinks in the new system as long as it's fair in the end. I hope my post didn't come across as pointing fingers at our remaining payroll person - we realize she's bearing the brunt of this transition, and is just as stressed as the rest of us.

Our larger fear was that our company wasn't financially able to meet payroll. If one of the payroll experts had responded along the lines of "In 15 years of payroll, I've never heard of dd working one pp and magically not working the next," that would have supported our fears.

Thank you!

Comment

Your payroll person should confirm the deadline for when she needs to send her data to the new payroll company and make sure she meets that deadline. You also need to make sure that your employees are being paid timely according to your state's guidelines as to when the company must pay their employees. For instance, in CA, pay is due a week after the close of the pay period. If your period closes on a Friday you have til the next Friday end of business to pay.

The way direct deposit works is that it goes through the initiating bank and through a specific path to the receiving bank, so there is some time there. It goes through something called an "Automatic Clearing House," which is where you get the term "ACH."

Typically the initiating bank has a cutoff time and all DDs initiated before that time are run after the cutoff time. The info goes through the ACH system to the receiving bank, and the DDs are made available depending on the receiving bank's policies regarding distribution of DDs. Our EE's bank's policies range from midnight the night before to 10 a.m. the morning of. Different banks have differing policies on this. So this can affect when an employee receives his pay. The EE can contact his bank to find out what their policy is on the receipt of DDs.

I tried looking through the NV regs, must not have looked in the right place. This is all I could find about when pay is due in Nevada: http://www.employmentlawhandbook.com...te/Nevada.html

"Frequency of Wage Payments

An employer must pay wages twice per month (semi-monthly), unless otherwise exempt.
          If paying twice per month, an employer must pay all wages earned and unpaid before the
          first day of any month not later than 8 a.m. on the 15th day of the month following the month
          in which the wages or compensation was earned. An employer must pay all wages earned
          and unpaid before the 16th day of any month not later than 8 a.m. on the last day of the
          same month. An employer and employee may enter in a contract agreeing to the payment
          of wages more frequently than semimonthly, but the employer cannot require the
          employee to sign such an agreement as a term or condition of employment."
          Last edited by lolcat; 05-13-2011, 11:59 AM. Reason: added info on regular paydays in NV

Comment

Thank you for looking that up, lolcat. We're now being told the dd will go through on Monday, which, given that our pp ended 5/8, is within the time frame given by the state. Oh, well - a bit of a tight weekend, but nothing too bad, luckily.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by henbob6 View Post
              Our dd's should be in by 5 pm, and we'll be reimbursed for any fees.

Forgive the knee-jerk post. A lot of people were upset, and I wanted to make sure my contributions to the water-cooler chatter were accurate.

Thank you!
              Are you trying to be fired?

Hey people. I heard on the internet~~~~~

Keep such information quiet. Even in your department. Problems go to the supervisor, and they decide what can be spread around. Pointing fingers at the water cooler will cause you to spill your water.

Comment

Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
                Are you trying to be fired?

Hey people. I heard on the internet~~~~~

Keep such information quiet. Even in your department. Problems go to the supervisor, and they decide what can be spread around. Pointing fingers at the water cooler will cause you to spill your water.
                I was all up in arms Friday, wasn't I. It was another in a series of tense situations here, and even supervisors and managers were upset and talking about filing wage claims. Pretty much the most I did was to **** my head to the side and say "oh, is that how it works?" - not "well if you reference PL94-142 you'll see that..." I do appreciate the reminder to keep my head down, though - it's too easy to get caught in the crossfire.

Great quote, btw.

Edit: "****" = a four letter word meaning "tilt"
                Last edited by henbob6; 05-14-2011, 08:41 AM. Reason: Gosh! I said a naughty word!

Comment

I tend to smile a lot at work. My clients are all "special needs", and so are most of my fellow workers. Who needs TV. I live in a sitcom. "As The World Spins"

I have found the same situation in EVERY job I have had in many fields.

Thanks for posting this problem. I learned from the answers what to suggest if the situation comes up, and then go back to playing with the clients.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X