Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Non-Union Auto Mechanic (California) Commission/Flate Rate pay question

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Non-Union Auto Mechanic (California) Commission/Flate Rate pay question

    I am a non-union auto mechanic for a dealership in California and I am on commission pay.

    I want to know if I can refuse to work on a car that won't pay me anything. They sometimes give out jobs that are free labor, and they don't end up paying the mechanics any hours. Can they legally penalize me if I refuse to work on the car that is free since I am commission and NOT hourly? Keep in mind I am a non-union auto mechanic.

    Thank you.

  • #2
    You must be paid at least minimum wage ($8/hr) for each hour worked. It is not legally possible to do otherwise for an auto mechanic in CA. You can file a wage claim for any unpaid minimum wage with CA-DLSE.

    Also, CA rules on MW do not follow the federal rules. With federal rules, averaging on a workweek basis is possible. With CA, averaging is not possible. Each and every hour worked in CA must be paid at least MW. This is discussed (less then clearly) in the CA-DLSE manual, chapter 44.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


    • #3
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.