This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work hours cut in half, not being paid if I work more than 4 hrs/day

My boss cut my - along with all of my co-workers - hours in half from 8hrs/day to 4hrs/day about 2 months ago. They said it was because our workload had dropped which it had. After numerous staff meetings, we were all under the impression that this would change once our numbers picked back up again. I am an hourly paid worker, so having my income essentially cut in half has affected me greatly.

Our workload has increased in the past couple weeks to the point where I had to stay one hour later than my allotted 4 hr work-window. My boss is refusing to pay me for the 5 hour day. They are also refusing to allow me to take an hour off early to make up the difference. We were told that if the numbers increase, we are to stagger our shifts so that all of the work gets done but none of us work more than the 4 hrs. In our profession, it is unethical to have somebody working alone, but we were told to ignore that. I already feel like I am working for free and being taken advantage of, but I do want to know how to approach this. I feel that what they are doing is wrong. I was brought on to be a full-time hourly paid employee, had my hours cut in half, and when I have to stay late, am not getting the compensation. What, if anything, can I do?
    Last edited by mouseclick; 08-05-2010, 06:21 AM.

The first thing you can do is tell us what state you are in. We ask that question for a reason.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Oh! I'm sorry! I thought I had selected it from a drop down window and didn't realize that it didn't show up. I'm in Ohio.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

You must be paid for all time worked, although none of the other things you mentioned are illegal.

Looks like you might be able to file a claim with the state DOL; not terribly clear on that from their website.
        http://www.com.ohio.gov/laws/docs/la...structions.pdf
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You might also be able to file for unemployment for partial benefits due to your hours being cut in half.

Comment

Good point, smallbizhr, the OP should definitely file.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agreed. Always file. You may or may not get UI, but it costs the employee nothing to file. If you file, you might get UI. If you do not file, you will not get UI.
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X