This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not getting paid for required meetings? North Carolina

At my work, a vet office, we have employee meetings a lot. These meetings are always at 12:00 pm during a week day and usually last one hour to an hour and a half where reps from product companies will come talk to us about their products or when the manager will talk to us about what we're doing wrong. All employees are required to attend, no excuses and they're usually scheduled a couple weeks in advance so they can say we had no excuse to miss it. If you are not working that day you still have to come in for the meeting but are not allowed to clock in. If you are at work that day you are required to clock out during the meeting. Is this legal? Requiring people to come in on their day off and not get paid for it? And requiring employees at work that day to clock out and sit through a work meeting and not get paid for it. All employees are hourly non-exempt. This is in North Carolina.

If these are required meetings and the employees are non-exempt, then they must be paid for the time.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.pdf
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

thanks

thanks so much for that website, that was really helpful. I have brought this issue up to management and their reply is that the meetings are always during our lunch hour (from 12pm - 1pm) and we can sit and eat during them so they are not required to pay us for the time spent in the meetings. According to that website though the employee has to be relieved of all duties and the meetings must be voluntary. At our work we get an hour un-paid lunch each day. But during days when we have meetings we are required to sit there during our lunch break and listen to the meeting. Shouldn't we get paid for this? Or is management right? That because we are allowed to eat during these meetings we cannot be clocked in.

Comment

Re link above,

Lectures, Meetings and Training Programs: Attendance at lectures, meetings, training programs and similar activities need not be counted as working time only if four criteria are met, namely: it is outside normal hours, it is voluntary, not job related, and no other work is concurrently performed.

Bona fide meal periods (typically 30 minutes or more) generally need not be compensated as work time. The employee must be completely relieved from duty for the purpose of eating regular meals. The employee is not relieved if he/she is required to perform any duties, whether active or inactive, while eating.

Yes, you should be paid for your meetings.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by nlh0806 View Post
            thanks so much for that website, that was really helpful. I have brought this issue up to management and their reply is that the meetings are always during our lunch hour (from 12pm - 1pm) and we can sit and eat during them so they are not required to pay us for the time spent in the meetings. According to that website though the employee has to be relieved of all duties and the meetings must be voluntary. At our work we get an hour un-paid lunch each day. But during days when we have meetings we are required to sit there during our lunch break and listen to the meeting. Shouldn't we get paid for this? Or is management right? That because we are allowed to eat during these meetings we cannot be clocked in.
            While your employer may believe this to be true...they are mistaken. If you are required to attend, you are to be paid (in your situation).
            Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

You can try talking to your employer. Otherwise, you can file a wage claim with the
              NC DOL.

http://www.nclabor.com:80/wh/fact%20...ecomplaint.htm

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X