Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with VA Pay period. Is Month-Month, a month behind legal? Virginia

I live in VA and work for a small company that pays us by the month, a month behind. So for January's wages we get paid at the end of February. From what I have read on the law, it looks like they have to pay us semi-monthly or biweekly, unless there is some loophole I'm missing. If they were paying us bi-weekly could they still pay us a period behind (ie. The check for weeks 1-2 at the end of week 4). What options do I have, if any?

Thank you!

Here is the extent of the law regarding payment of wages in VA. There isn't anything in there regarding the time lag between the end of the pay period and the pay date. My independent reference source says the same.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...00+cod+40.1-29
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

So what good would the law be if you can set up a weekly pay period and wait months to pay it?

Comment

You're stretching it beyond reason. You're welcome to call the state DOL and find out it they think a month lag time is reasonable or not. I can only tell you what the law says (or doesn't say). I would note that, in most states that have specific wage payment timing laws, there are provisions regarding the lag time; your state just isn't one of them.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I've tried to call them... with no real luck. I have read over the law, but as you said it doesn't say anything about lag time. I was just trying to get a firm grasp on what the law says. So unless I'm just not reading correctly, I should be getting paid bi-weekly or semi-monthly as I don't make than 150% of the VA wage and I'm an hourly employee who hasn't signed ANY contracts.

Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

That's the way I read it, yes.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X