This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salary cut for non-exempt employee California

I work for a reputed Indian software company and I first came to US for work in the year 2005. Since then I have gone back to india and returned to US couple of times. My status was non-exempt and I used to receive salary at a rate of $34.23/hr until August, 2009. I had to return to India in July, 2009 and I came back to US again in the month of November, 2009 . However my status was changed to exempt by mistake by my employer on Oct 2009. I was expecting a hike of atleast 3% (considering I was among the top performers) to my salary in Oct 2009, when my company announced hikes to its employees. Instead I have been receving salary 5-6% less than what I have been receiving earlier in 2009 (Nov 2009 - April 2010). Now in April 2010 when my status changed to non-exempt again, my billing rate shows $32.40/hr which is even lesser. However my peers who had the same salary as mine in July 2009, now receives salary which is almost 10% more than what I do now. This is inspite of me being in the same performance band (which determines salary in my company). When I asked for an explanation to my HR, they said all the hikes that I got over the past years due to my high performance have been nullified after I came back to US.

I want to know from a legal standpoint if I am in the same job and doing the same work, can my salary be reduced to any amount without any explanation? Thanks

Unless you have an enforceable contract that mandates what you may be paid, yes they can.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Are you an H1B visa holder by chance?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X