This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deductions for cash drawer being short? Missouri

I have a question...can I make deductions on a cashier's paycheck if their cash drawer is short? Or if they don't follow procedures and results in loss of compensation?

I have an employee whose cash drawer was short $170. Can I take that back from her check as long as it doesn't take her under min wage, or do I have to find an alternate way to penalize her?

And we own a gas station, our policy is that customers are supposed to pay in advance for gas that is paid for in cash. A different employee authorized a pump before getting the money and then the car drove off. Since she completely disregarded company policy, can I reduce her pay?

per my ref. on Mo. -- State law doesn't regulate deductions for such things as cash shortages except in regard to final paycheck. In that case, employers may not deduct for items as shortages or breakage. As far as other types of deductions, deductions are allowed for whatever purposes on which the parties agree.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs16.pdf

You can reduce her pay going forward or you could terminate her for not following policy. Your pumps aren't set it to prohibit pumping unless credit/debit card or attendant activates it for cash? All the ones I go to are.
      Last edited by Pattymd; 04-29-2010, 05:46 AM.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Just to be clear, while I have no opinion on MO law (not my state), federal law (FLSA) consideres deductions for cash drawer shortages to be a "for the benefit of the employer" type of deduction that cannot reduce pay below minimum wage. And federal law is applicable in all 50 states, so that is the worst case as far as the employee is concerned. State law can be more favorable to the employee then federal law, but cannot be less favorable.
        http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs16.pdf
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X