This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sick, policy to call and notify coverage person? South Carolina

A change in policy just occurred yesterday. If you are sick, you must call in at least 30 mins. prior to the time you should be at work and ( this is the change) If coverage is needed, you must call and notify the appropriate individual. [/COLOR] Now... I am not salaried, I am hourly. Isn't this asking me to work while not being clocked in? I believe it is my supervisor's job to arrange coverage. In fact I think it is my supervisors job arrange coverage even when I am taking a vaction. I am no one's supervisor and it should not be up to me to tell one of my coworkers that she needs to do my work while I am gone. it is her supervisors job. Anyone who knows SC labor laws please respond.

1. There is a 100% chance that this is an entirely legal order for the employer to give you.

2. Regarding pay, you can make an argument that the time you are actually spending on the call is indeed hours worked. The employer can make a De Minimus counter argument based on 29 CFR 785.47. Any determination would be a function on how often such calls occured and how long the calls generally took.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Speaking from an employer point of view, it is a serious pain to call around because someone is not able to make it to work. If you are ill and unable to make it to work then that's the way it is.

However, your actions may find you in the UI line as your employer has set a policy, you are aware of it, now you are expected to follow it.
      Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Originally posted by CatBert View Post
        Speaking from an employer point of view, it is a serious pain to call around because someone is not able to make it to work. If you are ill and unable to make it to work then that's the way it is.

However, your actions may find you in the UI line as your employer has set a policy, you are aware of it, now you are expected to follow it.
        I don't disagree, but to play devil's advocate for a second, from the employee's point of view, it is a serious pain to call around for your own replacement. IMHO, that's management's job. But my opinion doesn't count for squat.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Just one little thing as well:
          What if you don't have co-workers contact info?

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            I don't disagree, but to play devil's advocate for a second, from the employee's point of view, it is a serious pain to call around for your own replacement. IMHO, that's management's job. But my opinion doesn't count for squat.
            I tend to agree particularly if you're sick & all you want to do is go back to bed.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I understand what Patty is saying, and know that Betty is simply lashing out at me because I am not a Cardinals fan

If you know you're not coming to work, I guess the best solution is to notify as early as possible.

I don't see anything that violates the law however for asking the employee to find their own coverage.
              Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

One place I have worked splits the difference.

If you have an emergency, or are sick, you can call the main office and the general manager will line up a replacement. You can get brownie points by doing it yourself, but for an absence that could not have been foreseen, they will do it for you. All that's required is that you let them know.

For a planned, foreseeable absence it is up to you to arrange your own coverage.

Co-worker's contact information is available at the front desk and you are expected to avail yourself of it. You need only leave one phone number (you can leave more than one if you wish) but you must leave SOME way for your co-workers to contact you.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by CatBert View Post
                  I understand what Patty is saying, and know that Betty is simply lashing out at me because I am not a Cardinals fan
                  No, it's because you're a Cubs fan.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X