This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company meetings during lunch hours Mississippi

Our company has begun holding regular meetings from 12:00 to 1:00, during the lunch hour. The company is providing lunches to employees and most employees are salary or commission employees, so this does not affect their pay but my employer is requiring hourly employees to clock out during that hour to attend the meeting. If an employee is at a company meeting shouldn't they be paid for that time, wether being fed or not?

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.pdf

Lectures, Meetings and Training Programs: Attendance at lectures, meetings, training programs and similar activities need not be counted as working time only if four criteria are met, namely: it is outside normal hours, it is voluntary, not job related, and no other work is concurrently performed.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Just to clarify, extra pay is not required only if the employee is either salaried exempt, or Outside Sales exempt. "Salaried" is merely a pay method and "commissions only" rightfully applies to exempt outside salespersons.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I understand that a salaried employee or commission based employee would not get any add'l pay for the company meeting.

But where my problem is is that hourly employees are being required to clock out from 12-1 (the lunch hour) to attend the company meeting!! This is absurd!! Is this legal?

Comment

Originally posted by lucyworks View Post
          I understand that a salaried employee or commission based employee would not get any add'l pay for the company meeting.

But where my problem is is that hourly employees are being required to clock out from 12-1 (the lunch hour) to attend the company meeting!! This is absurd!! Is this legal?
          Betty already posted this, and I will highlight portions for you.

Lectures, Meetings and Training Programs: Attendance at lectures, meetings, training programs and similar activities need not be counted as working time only if four criteria are met, namely: it is outside normal hours, it is voluntary, not job related, and no other work is concurrently performed.
          All four MUST be met. I am guessing that the meetings are job related, so your answer is that you should be getting paid for this.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X