This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breaks

Hi I was wondering if someone might be able to help me and my co-workers. I work security for a school and am employed by the school just recently the administration had put a letter into all security people's mail box stating that we are not to leave the campus on our breaks. I have worked here for 4+yrs and have always left to go 5 minutes round trip to get a coffee in the past the administrator who have is this letter has seen me there in the past and has never questioned or said anything about it. We work a straight 8 hrs with single coverage and get paid for all 8 hrs is no cafeteria or vending machines in place for us to get a coffee or food with past practice being that we were allowed to leave. When I was hired the same administrator told me that if I wanted something that there was a coffee place and grinder place close by so I could her food or drink is there anything we can so about this

What state? (There really is a good reason that question get asked).
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Sorry about that state is Massachusetts

Comment

Not my state, so we will need to wait for someone to address MA specific rules. I can say that federal rules do not require lunch or breaks at all, but does address paying them if they occur. There is nothing in federal rules that you would find useful based on what you have said so far.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thank you very much for looking into this matter for me

Comment

In MA, employees who work 6 hours or more are entitled to a 30 minute break. Employees who work under 6 hours are entitled only to the breaks the employer chooses to give them. (Under Federal law, IF breaks are offered, breaks of under 20 minutes or so must be paid breaks. Longer breaks need not be paid.)

An employer in MA may legally require an employee to remain on the premises during their breaks; however, if that occurs, all breaks become paid breaks. Nothing whatsoever in the law requires an employer to allow an employee to go out for coffee or food regardless of the length of shift.

Sounds like you might have to bring your own food and coffee in for a while.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Someone just told me that if they do not allow us off the grounds that they would have to provide either vending machines or a canteen vendor to come in. Is this true.

Comment

Ask for the law stating that. I know of no state that requires vending machines.

How about delivery?

Comment

No. It is not true.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X