This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitting job in PA Pennsylvania

I am currently in negotiations with another company and I want to ensure that I get the bonus from my other job. Would it be wise in the state of PA to work until the bonus check is due to be received or could I leave before it is due and still collect it.

For example, I know the bonus is due with our paycheck on 2/5/10, my new employer said I could work up until 2/5/2010 at my other job to ensure I receive the bonus I have due to me. My concern is if I give my two weeks and that is my last day scheduled of work is 2/5/2010, that my old job will not want me to come back to fulfill the 2 weeks. My bonus was from December 2009 peformance. Would this sacrifice my right to receive my bonus and is this legal? Cause if so I would wait to give my two weeks until that day? Please advise.

Does your bonus agreement address this?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

It would not be illegal for the bonus agreement to state that you had to be employed on the date it was paid.

Resigning with a notice is always a crap shoot; without an enforceable employment contract prohibiting it the employer is within his rights to accept your resignation effectively immediately upon receipt.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

So would you wait to resign/give two weeks until bonus is paid to fully ensure bonus payout. I can't remember I will have to run into work to look. I believe it states, "bonus payout if contingent on working a full month to receive?"

Comment

Couldn't hurt.

Regarding the phrase you cited, that could be interpreted a couple of ways. If you want to post back exactly what the agreement says about timing of payment (not the whole agreement), you can do that.

One other question; what exactly is this bonus for and what is the basis of the calculation?
          Last edited by Pattymd; 01-09-2010, 04:16 PM.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X