This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delayed Pay Florida

I work for a county government in Florida and occasionally certain non-regular paychecks (for bonuses and paid training) are delayed by the county employer for 1 month, sometimes as long as 6 months.

Is there a Florida statute that requires payment for services within a certain time limit?

Is there an IRS code or regulation that requires taxes be remitted for accrued pay within a certain time limit?

Florida does not have a law which prescribes when payment of wages are due. Neither does federal law. There is at least one federal case in which an employee claimed wages were withheld for too long (10 days) that have resulted in a judgment favoring the employer. Six months is much longer, and perhaps you would prevail in court, but I'm not sure of what the applicable laws are.
    "The most patriotic people in America are the working class" - Cecil Roberts - President UMWA

Comment

Bonuses are normally defined by contract or agreement and are not normally covered by wage and hour laws anyway, at least in Florida (and most other states) and under federal law. When you say training, are you talking about the time spent in the training or the reimbursement for expenses?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

He/She said "paid training". Why would you think that would mean expense reimbursement?
        "The most patriotic people in America are the working class" - Cecil Roberts - President UMWA

Comment

Because in the time Patty has been posting here, she has learned to confirm details instead of making assumptions. We have had posters in the past who said "paid training" when they meant "expense reimbursement".

That's why.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

It's always best to verify information with the OP instead of making assumptions so that we don't give them an incorrect answer.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
              Because in the time Patty has been posting here, she has learned to confirm details instead of making assumptions. We have had posters in the past who said "paid training" when they meant "expense reimbursement".

That's why.
              The poster was clear. The poster said (Bonuses AND paid training) Clearly making a distinction between the two, so there should be no confusion.

I hope that the poster will find some guidance .

I like to dot my T's and cross my I's

I'm dyslexic , so this works for me, in case your wondering.

Comment

So, what's your point? Are you claiming that Patty SHOULDN'T confirm what the poster means? Are you saying there is something wrong with checking your facts before giving an answer? Are you saying that as long as mcarson and jenny think they know what the poster means, there is somehow something wrong with someone else actually CONFIRMING it?

Grow up. And if all you're going to do is gripe about how other people post and give incorrect information, do it somewhere else.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Of course, there is a distinction between bonuses and training, they are two separate things. d'oh

I am trying to clarify whether it is the training itself that is paid for (like tuition or expenses) or the training time. And I will continue to ask for clarification if it is needed to answer the question correctly.

The poster WILL "find some guidance" if he comes back and answers my question.
                  I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Listen, all I asked was a simple question. No reason for anyone to get bent out of shape.

Comment

Originally posted by mcarson87 View Post
                      Listen, all I asked was a simple question. No reason for anyone to get bent out of shape.
                      I wasn't responding to you as much as I was to Jenny.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X