This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Reporting Time Pay and Short Meetings California

Hello, first time posting to this forum. I did a little searching and did not find something related to my question so I thought I'd ask. I am in California.

Here's the situation: I am scheduled for an 8 hour shift in the afternoon, my employer calls me in the morning and says there is a mandatory meeting and I must be in attendance. The meeting lasts an hour and I am sent home, I then report for my scheduled 8 hour shift on time and work the entire shift.

I have done a little research on Reporting Time Pay and I see no specifics about a situation like this. Am I entitled to more than the hour worth of pay that I showed up for in the morning and if so do I get 2 or 4 hours?

From what I have read I think I am entitled to 4 hours. Can someone please clarify? Thanks!

I can tell you how it would work in my state. CA may be different - it often is.

It would depend on how long the meeting was scheduled for. In my state, the equivalent law to the CA law you are looking at promises a minimum of 3 hours IF you are sent home after working less time than you were scheduled for. If the meeting was only scheduled to last an hour, then you would only be due an hour, mandatory or not. But if the meeting was scheduled to last three hours and ended up only lasting one, THEN you would be due three hours. They do not have to pay employees for longer than they were scheduled to be there in the first place - they only have to pay if the employee was sent home before they had worked their scheduled shift.

Someone else may know the specifics of the CA law.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

How long was the meeting suppose to last? Did you work your full 8 hours later in the day? What is your normal hourly wage?

If the meeting was only to be an hour, than that is all you have to be paid.

You will also be due 1 hour of overtime if you worked your full 8 hours.

You may also be due 1 hours pay (at no less than minimum wage) for the split shift. Any amount you normally earn above minimum wage MAY be deducted from this amount due. So if you make $9+/hr the split is no longer due.

Comment

The law you're referencing is called reporting time pay and I suggest reading the DLSE manual as you know the particulars of your situation the best. Here's an excerpt but I highly reccomend reading the entire section as California law is really quite complicated.

"Required “Training” Or “Staff” Meeting Attendance. DLSE has been asked on a number of occasions how the Reporting Time provisions of the Orders affect a situation where the employer requires employees to attend a short training meeting, staff meeting or similar gathering under a variety of circumstances. Most common are:

1. Required meeting is scheduled for a day when the worker is not usually
        scheduled to work. The employer tells all of the workers that attendance at the meeting is mandatory and a one- or two-hour shift is “scheduled” for this meeting. For those workers not “regularly scheduled” to work, the employee must be paid at least one-half of that employ ee’s usual or scheduled day’s work.

2. Required meeting is scheduled on the day a worker is scheduled to work, but after the worker’s scheduled shift ends.

a. If there is an unpaid hiatus between the end of the shift and the meeting, the employee must be paid, pursuant to Section 5(B) (see above) at least two hours for reporting a second time in one day.

b. If the meeting is scheduled to immediately follow the scheduled shift, there
        is no requirement for the payment of reporting time no matter how long the
        meeting continues.
        "

If the meeting is schedualed before your shift, none of the rules above come into play except for California OT rules. If your meeting is AFTER, you are owed at minimum two hours of pay for CA call-back rules as well as any split-shift premiums as an above poster mentioned

Comment

Thank you for your responses, I will look into the DLSE. You are right, this is very confusing.

Regarding how long the meeting was scheduled to be, it technically was an unscheduled surprise. I just got a call saying to be at work, I did work my full shift and I get paid $16 per hour.

This brings up a second question. Later this week I have been told to be on a conference call on my day off, also mandatory. Looking at the above posting I would guess I should be paid for half of a normal shift. Does that apply if I take the conference call from home?

This is all so complex :/

Thanks for the help!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X