This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee damage to company property Oklahoma

There is a disagreement between myself, the payroll admin, and our general manager regarding how much can be taken from an employees paycheck to reimburse for damage to company property. We charge our employees a maximum of $200 when they damage the company vehicles, less if the repair costs less, but it's meant to be a deterrent to curb carelessness. The GM says if the employees check is $75, I should take it all to satisfy a portion of the $200 charge. I say that I can't do that because it brings the wages below minimum. The disagreement centers around the fact that our employees don't get paid an hourly wage but rather by the mile so the GM thinks that's a way to get around the law. Because we pay semi-monthly, I've figured that minimum wage would be $6.55 x 65 = $425.75, and anything less than that is untouchable. Am I correct, is the GM correct, or is there something I'm missing entirely?

In Oklahoma you have to have a signed acknowledgement from the employee to deduct the money AND you can only deduct monies not take employee below minimum wage.
    Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

I will defer to the other answer for OK state law. I can give you a pointer to federal law (FLSA) which also has the MW provision.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs16.pdf
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I agree/concur with atsiamanda re Oklahoma deductions - it's ok to deduct for damage to co. property but have to have written deduction auth. by employee & can't pay below min. wage.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X