This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lunch breaks

I worked in Kentucky at a florist. We took 30 minutes for lunch. We were not paid for the lunch but had to wait on customers and answer the phone white we tried to eat. Is this fair, if not what can I do about it.

Kentucky Lunch

Kentucky does require that employers provide a half hour lunch. However, it is also understood that an uninterrupted lunch may not be possible. If the lunch is without interruptions, the employer may count the time as time not worked. However, if the lunch requires interruption, the employer must pay for the lunch period.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

overtime

Working in Kentucky, I am aware that my employeer is paying under the table to employees cash. Also they are not paying overtime. They pay cash after 40 hours or hold the money till the next week it the employee doesn't get 40 hours that week. Is this right?

Comment

Overtime in Kentucky

Absolutely not. It is illegal under federal wage and hour laws. You can file a claim against the employer for unpaid overtime. THe following link takes you to the federal wage and hour laws: http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/state.htm
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

kimls9822

I worked for this company and had to deal with alot of sex talk from the employer. It really got bad. I also had documents that I had written in a journal about things going on and he got it out of my purse and read them. I was then fired because when I recorded my time on a scrap paper I accidently recorded my time down wrong, 2 1/2 hours. I had been having problems with the owners son with the sex talk and complaining about the breaks, no breaks (in Ky) and working with no pay during lunch. They pay one girl on disability cash one girl gets paid all cash no taxes and they are also killing hogs and selling the meat with out a licence. I need an attorney do you have anyone you could recommend.

Comment

Did you receive my last question concerning an attorney

Comment

Attorney

I don't have a recommended attorney for you. However, you may not need one at first. The following link is the US Equal Employment Opportunity COmmission. They can also discuss how you go about filing a complaint. You don't need an attorney to file the complaint. Let me know if you have any other questions.
              http://www.eeoc.gov/
              Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
              www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Originally posted by LConnell
                Kentucky does require that employers provide a half hour lunch. However, it is also understood that an uninterrupted lunch may not be possible. If the lunch is without interruptions, the employer may count the time as time not worked. However, if the lunch requires interruption, the employer must pay for the lunch period.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
                Would it be possible for you to cite a regulation of some sort about this? I am in Lexington, KY and get a 1 hour lunch, but it is constantly broken up. I'm told (by my supervisor) that if I use 10 minutes (e.g.) of my lunch and get interrupted for something, than I can continue later with the other 50 minutes.

Comment

Meal Periods

The following link will take you to the US Department of Labor website. Look at the section on rest and meal periods. http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs22.htm
                  Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
                  www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X