Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Written up/suspended for dangerous conditions? Michigan

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Written up/suspended for dangerous conditions? Michigan

    Michigan non-exempt employee. Hourly paid for a large cable company contractor. This week I have been travelling two hours away to another city to work, a city outside my home office's area. Therefore all driving time is required by law to be paid. That issue was resolved a while back. Today however, in the upper peninsula of michigan we are having -35 degree wind chills, worse in some places, and even the college in that city cancelled classes. All kinds of stores and businesses are closed. Plus there are white-out conditions on the highway which is extremely hazardous. So I let the supervisor know ahead of time that I wasn't going to risk my life for that, and I did still get up early and go to my home office for attendance. Now I am getting written up AND suspended 3 days since I didn't go. Is this legal? Is there any kind of protection against this?
    I don't mind anyway because I already have 40hrs this week and it is going to be in the +20s next week lol but this is still outrageous

  • #2
    There is nothing in the law that addresses when you can be disciplined/written up. I do agree though, that it does seem unfeeling at best and shows little concern for the safety of the workers at worst.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.