SDI deduction on WA paycheck? Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDI deduction on WA paycheck? Washington

I wasn't exactly sure which forum to post this question in...so I posted twice...

I work at an independently owned franchise. The owner hires a CPA to do her payroll and I have caught him making a number of mistakes (i.e. he advised my boss to pay us on the 5th and 20th of each month but for only 14 days at a time, which ended up violating a law that says you can't pay an employee more than 11 days after the end of that pay period). She changed our pay periods to 14 days at a time because the CPA couldn't figure out overtime if the periods were longer (like 15th-EOM). So I've been keeping a close eye on my hours and paystubs.

The other day I noticed that under deductions on my paystub there is something labeled SDI. When I looked this up it shows that it is a state disability tax in the states of California, New York and New Jersey. I am a resident and employee in the state of Washington...should this be coming out of my paycheck?

Please do NOT post twice; it only makes things confusing for the responders.

I'll delete the other one for you.

I'll let one of the payroll people address your questions.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I was wondering where the thread went while I was composing my response.

How much is it? Washington DOES give the employer the right to deduct a portion of Worker's Comp premiums (the only state which does), based on hours worked. Maybe it's just mislabeled on the stub.

Or is it a percentage of taxable earnings?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

It's only 8-10 dollars a paycheck but it's not something I asked for, if it's a mandatory state thing that's ok but it doesn't look like Washington State does SDI...

Also it's a copy and printing shop, not some dangerous labor where we're likely to get hurt and file L&I or need workers comp.
        Last edited by hebaker27; 08-19-2008, 12:45 PM. Reason: spell check

Comment

EVERY employer in Washington state (and every other state except Texas) must carry Work Comp coverage. The rates are based on the risk involved in the type of work you do.

So, IS it a percentage of your pay?
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

In Washington state, *worker's comp* is also called *worker's comp-state disability ins.* & *state industrial ins.* per a reference of mine.
            Last edited by Betty3; 08-19-2008, 11:52 PM.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Sdi

Originally posted by hebaker27 View Post
              I wasn't exactly sure which forum to post this question in...so I posted twice...

I work at an independently owned franchise. The owner hires a CPA to do her payroll and I have caught him making a number of mistakes (i.e. he advised my boss to pay us on the 5th and 20th of each month but for only 14 days at a time, which ended up violating a law that says you can't pay an employee more than 11 days after the end of that pay period). She changed our pay periods to 14 days at a time because the CPA couldn't figure out overtime if the periods were longer (like 15th-EOM). So I've been keeping a close eye on my hours and paystubs.

The other day I noticed that under deductions on my paystub there is something labeled SDI. When I looked this up it shows that it is a state disability tax in the states of California, New York and New Jersey. I am a resident and employee in the state of Washington...should this be coming out of my paycheck?
              Yes it is required. It should be on your W-2 but for all of the W-2 from various companies I've done taxes for- this is not the case. WA employers need to get with the program. I usually ask the client to look at their last pay stub of the year to find the amount. There are other states that have the same tax- California being one....

Comment

Given that this thread originated in 2008, I'm sure the situation has been resolved by now.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

In other words, please do not reply to old threads. Thanks. You are welcome to reply to current threads or ask a question.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X