This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part-time Status and breaks deducted- Oklahoma Oklahoma

I know that my employer is not required to give me breaks, but they deduct the time for them from my scheduled time whether I take them or not. Sometimes we are too busy for me to take a break, so I work through them and I want to be sure that I am being paid for that time. This comes into play because I am scheduled for 40 hours each week, but I am being considered part time and not being paid benefits.

Is my employer allowed to subtract time for lunch breaks I don't take? And must I be given benefits since I'm working 40 hours each week? (I don't know what the cut-off is between part time and full time hours as I have not been given an employee handbook or any other information).

Thank you in advance for your response.

If you're a non-exempt employee (seems so from your post), you have to be paid for all hours/time worked. If your employer requires you to take a break & you don't, you can be disciplined for not doing so up to & including being fired but you still have to be paid for the time.

It is up to your employer when benefits are available - you don't have to be given benefits just because you work at least 40 hrs. a week. You would have to ask your employer when benefits are available. It is also up to the employer to decide when someone becomes full time - there is no certain # of hrs. that make you full time.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

How do you report your time? Time sheet/card? Online? You need to notify your supervisor when the meal period arrives and you feel like you are not able to take it and NOT work through unless such waiver of the meal period is approved.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X