This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deny layoff pay in DC District of Columbia

I have a friend who was recently laid off due to the crash in the financial markets. Upon the notification of his layoff, he was told that for the next two weeks, he would have a "notice period" where he could come to the office and use the equipment to find new employment and also work to transition his work to another colleague. Beyond this time, he would be paid an additional 3 weeks of severance pay. He has honored his side of the commitment by going to the office each day to transition his work and doing whatever else they asked, however the employer has failed to pay him beyond the date where they first notified him of being laid off (today should have been the first paycheck he should have received during this "notice period" as noted above). He's a pretty upstanding individual with a lot of pride in his work, so despite the situation I'm quite sure he held up his end of the bargain in a professional manner. Is this legal to just stop paying him, given that basically they are denying him pay for work already performed per their request?

PS...he has not been provided any layoff documents for signature, so that's not the holdup.

If he doesn't get paid for time worked, have him put in a claim with the Dept. of Employment Services in Wash. DC.

Severance pay is not required by law - it is up to co. policy/practice or unless there is an employment contract or CBA that addresses this issue.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Without a severance agreement in writing, he would be hard pressed to force the company to pay.

Has he questioned HR about this? What do they say?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X