This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhode Island accrued leave laws Rhode Island

I live in Connecticut but work in Rhode Island. Our office recently recieved an email informing us of numerous timekeeping policies. One of which states that if our personal time (we do not have vacation time and sick time) balance is positive, that we must use in the event of an unexpected absence. Is this legal? It would seem to me that I earned the time and I should have the right to decide when I want to use it. If I am comfortable having a paycheck of only 32 hours because I missed a day, that should be my decision, not the companies.

The company is not legally required to provide you with any sort of paid time off and it can decide when, where, how and for what purposes you may use it or be required to use it.

From a financial viewpoint, it costs the company less to pay you now for an absence than it would two years from now, since your rate of pay will go up.

What they are doing is legal.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X