This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions regarding commision based technician wages Michigan

Hello, i Just found this site while searching for commision based wage laws.

I am looking for some help/advice on a situation that has just arrised at my work.

I am currently an hourly based repair technician at a dealership/repair shop (non-automotive, industrial/agricultural if it matters), and there is a bonus plan where you recieve extra $$ based on your productivity percentage.

the problem is that just recently, the company decided that the repair techs will only recieve pay based on the time put into a repair, which seems like they are basically swicthing to commision style pay.

the issue is that when their are no repairs to be worked on, basically how i see it, i won't be recieving pay??
    like i said, all the techs were hourly employees, and the company says its not switching to commision based pay, however, we are now only going to be getting paid for hours worked on repairs, not hours actually at work, and only recieving our hourly pay rate for those hours, not a percentage of time billed.

does this seem hokey to anyone??

anyone know what the commision based pay figure percentage is for repair technicians??
    it seems to me that all techs at my workplace are about to get ripped off.

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

As long as the total pay when divided by hours worked (even sitting there waiting for a car to work on is hours worked) is at least minimum wage, that's all the law requires.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
      As long as the total pay when divided by hours worked (even sitting there waiting for a car to work on is hours worked) is at least minimum wage, that's all the law requires.
      Succinct.

I had lots of responses, but yours is the best.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

sooo, basically, i might have just had my annual income cut by over 65%, and there isn't anything at all wrong with it?

the kicker of all this is that there have been no talks about this, that is up untill it became.

Comment

There are lots of things "wrong" with it, but illegality is not one of them.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X