This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Pay North Carolina

We are national roofing company and the travel pay is different in almost every branch. The North Carolina branches as just adopted a new travel policy that states the following.

[B]60 miles from cost center(Office) - No travel, free zone
    Over 60 miles - Driver/foreman or both with company vehicle-$0.20/mile
    Riders in company vehicle- No reimbursement
    Driver and riders of personal vehicles receive $0.36/mile
    Over 120 miles-Mandatory stay over
    Travel to be paid to the job only, once per week
    No travel reimbursement for trips home through duration of job
    300+miles - Mandatory 3 week stay.
    Reimbursement will be for each trip to the job.
    No reimbursement for trips home.
    Is this right, I would like to make sure that from a legal standpoint that this doesn't come back to bite us in the rear. I thought that you were paid at all times in a company vehicle while traveling to and from a jobsite.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 02-21-2008, 12:36 PM.

If the employees in question are exempt, no travel time needs to be paid regardless.

If the employees are non-exempt, no travel time is due by law for the time between home and the first stop of the day, or between the last stop of the day and home. Pay is required for travel between all subsequent stops. It doesn't matter if it's a company vehicle or not.

Beyond that, I will let one of the payroll people respond.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I am still confused on the exempt and non-Exempt.
      I can tell you that they are hourly employees that make $20 or less an hour.

What about them leaving from the office to the job? That would be considered payable?

Comment

There are legally very few types of employees who can be treated as Hourly Exempt and none that I can think of doing the types of things a general worker for a roofing company would do. So, assume non-exempt. That means that they must be paid at least minimum wage and must be paid overtime for hours worked past 40 in the work week. Travel time may or may not be consider hours worked. The federal travel rules are 29 CFR 785.33-785.41. I have included a pointer to the first rule. You can page back and forth to find the rest of them.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.33.htm

Your state may have it's own rules, but your state is not my state, so I cannot help you with that. I can say that most states follow the federal rules in this matter as is.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X