This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got paid last Wed but then......... Florida

I deposited my paycheck last Wed. I get/got paid every other week. So I check my balance this week and the payroll check bounced, and now has left me with 13 overdraft fees. I have never been overdrawn in my life.

To add insult to injury he also laid me off Monday claiming the company sales cannot support the payroll. He also has decided not to pay 2 other employees. 1 that left, and the other that was laid off.

I was told I should contact the Florida State Attorney in my district. This info was given to me by Florida DOL/Workforce innovation. Does this sound right ?

Any other advice anyone could give me would be great.

That is tough.

Contact the AG. I think the idea is that the company could be prosecuted for fraud (issuing checks knowing that there were insufficient funds to cover them).

I seriously doubt that will get you your money, but contact them anyway.

Call the US Dept of Labor (since, as I understand it, Florida does little to enforce labor laws).

You need to establish your claim now. I hope that bankruptcy court, if that is in the future for the company, gives precedence to wage claims (I have no idea since I have only once seen a company fold and its former employees were paid their wages out of a state fund set up for such contingencies -- few states have such a fund).
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Well you were right about the DOL (at least in Florida) They said I could file a complaint and they could call, but since he has not refused to pay and has told me I needed to wait, they would ask when I would get paid and he could say as soon as he gets the funds......and that would be end of story.

But she did say I should contact the sheriffs office, because he did give me a payroll check that bounced, and that is against the law

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X