This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee sent home early Arizona

Our office was open December 31st but was closed the following day (New Year's Day). On December 31st it was pretty quiet so we decided to shut down an hour early and sent everyone home at 4:00 pm. One of my hourly employees believes that if we send hourlies home before the usual time we are obligated to pay for the hour she would ordinarily have been able to work. This was not my understanding, but I promised her I would double check to see if I was wrong.

If we close the office early, are we obliged to pay hourly wages through to the usual out-time?

Thanks for your help.

Assuming this is a nonexempt employee (not all hourly employees are, but the greatest majority are), then no, you are not.

Often, when employees have stated such things like "the law requires you to" do X, I've responded "Please bring me a copy of the law or a link to it on the internet, and I'll be happy to review it". I've NEVER had an employee take me up on it in 30 years in the payroll/HR business.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 01-07-2008, 02:37 PM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
      I've NEVER had an employee take me up on it in 30 years in the payroll/HR business.
      You have been lucky. I have. My last employer was an software company and many of the employees considered Google to be nice "training wheels" type of service for people who did not understand much how the Internet worked. The same people who consider Windows to be a passing fad, because UNIX was (ITO) a much better platform. The same people who wrote the legacy time accounting system using the UNIX VI text editor as the core engine (those of you who do not feel your last meal starting to come up have never used UNIX).

We had employees doing their own labor law research with some frequency. On occasion they even came up with a correct answer. Of course, a certain percentage of these self-help types were Tax Protesters. They were always very entertaining when you were on deadline with something. Did you folks know that if an employee declares themselves "sovereign" that not only must the employer stop withholding all taxes but the payroll people get put into stocks and the employees get to throw dead cats at them? It is all there in the Constitution or Common Law or maybe the Dead Sea Scrolls (depending on who you are talking to).
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Are those clawed or declawed cats?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X