This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduling Breaks Maryland

My store manager constantly schedules me to work 7-3 and has no one in my department scheduled to come in until 3 or 4. Due to this I cannot take a break or in most cases leave on time (when I brought this up to my opps. manager on black friday (that there was an hour of no coverage) I was told I would just have to deal with it and stay later than my shift). We were short handed in the past but now have enough help so this shouldnt happen. To make matters worse the district manager and store manager (who makes the schedule) complain and tell my department manager that I have to take breaks and leave on my scheduled time (and im thinking - you actually think I like not getting breaks and working so much im too tired to do anything but sleep in my time off). It is company policy that 8hr shifts get one paid 15min and one unpaid 30min break and 10hr shifts get 2 paid 15min and one unpaid 60min break. I rarely get these due to scheduling and managers do not offer coverage of my department so I can take breaks. Is there anything I can do about this? I dont think Maryland requires breaks but if the company does is it still legal?

Yes, it is true that there is no Maryland law that requires breaks of any kind for adult employees in general employment. Conversely, though, if the company requires them, then you take them.

What does your manager say you are supposed to do when it's your break time and there is no coverage?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X