Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Legal to remove money from check?

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Legal to remove money from check?

    I live in Michigan and have just obtained a job as a cashier at a retail store. I was told by another employee that if my register is over $2.00 short, the store takes it out of my check. Is this legal, if I didn't sign anything to that effect? All I filled out was the usual paperwork: W2, at will employee contract (doesn't mention this), and application.

    thanks for any information regarding this,


  • #2
    Probably not but since you've just started, aren't yet familiar with with company policies, and for all you know this co-worker is just blowing smoke, why don't you ask your supervisor what their policy is on cash shortages and overages? If and when a shortage is ever deducted from your paycheck, then you may contact your State's department of labor and file a complaint.


    • #3
      Michigan's law on paycheck deductions: Except for overpayment of wages or benefits, deductions for the benefit of the employer require written consent from an employee for each wage payment subject to the deduction. Except for deductions required or expressly permitted by law or by a CBA, employers may not ded. any amt. for such things as union dues, charitable contributions, credit union deposits, etc. w/o written consent.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.