X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailed Paycheck not arriving on time? Alabama

Hello,

I am very frusterated. I am the only employee in Alabama, and the rest of my company is out of state. According to the employee manual, the pay dates are the 1rst and the 16th of every month.

The payroll department refuses to send my check early so that I will receive it on time. They are mailing it to me on the pay date, so I am getting it days late. They will not do direct deposit.

Who can I complain to? Is this a violation of state or federal law? I just don't think this is fair. I have complained repeatedly to my boss, but they won't seem to get it worked out.

Thanks!

Generally speaking, mailing on the paydate meets the legal requirements. However, according to my source, Alabama HAS no law requiring any particular pay frequency or any given lag time between the end of the pay period and that pay date, except for public transportation employers who employ over 50 workers.

So, there IS no one you can complain to, because there is no law being violated. (Federal law does not address this issue.) Sorry.

Guess you could just change your thinking to, instead of the 1st and the 16th, say the 5th and the 20th. Then, in your mind, the paycheck would be "on time". Kind of like on-time statistics in the airline industry.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Alternatively, you might consider looking for another job with a different employer. Lack of direct deposit is not exactly a selling point, especially with the employer U.S. mailing checks on pay date. Speaking as a long time payroll person, the employer almost never has the check ready much before pay date. Traditionally payroll departments I have worked for did not get the checks and pay advises early then the day before pay date. But we almost always mailed the checks and pay advises that day (the day before pay date). And I have not worked for an employer that did not have payroll direct deposit since the mid-1980s. For that matter, I have not worked for an employer that did not have accounts payable direct deposit since the late 1990s. This is not exactly brain surgery here. There is (IMO) not much of a reason for any employers much bigger then a hot dog stand to not offer direct deposit. Fairly cheap-o payroll programs have supported direct deposit for a long time now. And Y2K forced most companies with really old payroll programs to upgrade in 2000.

While I certainly agree with Patty that no laws are being broken, I also do not have a very high opinion of your company's payroll department.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by DAW View Post
        While I certainly agree with Patty that no laws are being broken, I also do not have a very high opinion of your company's payroll department.
        And I certainly agree with DAW's opinion of the payroll department.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X