This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retroactive pay cut? Colorado

My mother-in-law works for (staffing agency). In July, they switched her shift from nights to days, then forgot to decrease her pay to reflect the shift change. Four weeks later they noticed and retroactively charged her for the overpayment.

However, now they have decided to cut her pay by $1 an hour, for no reason. She has not changed shifts, job-posting or anything else. They wish to make this retroactive by 2 months.

Is it legal in Colorado to cut someone's pay AFTER they have worked the hours? A retroactive decrease due to the fact that night employees are paid more than day employees...and reducing her paycheck so that the overpayment from the date of shift change is covered is one thing; but arbitrarily reducing her pay, retroactively, for no reason and for hours already worked is quite another.
    Last edited by cbg; 11-25-2007, 11:04 AM.

Generally, employers can only reduce an employee's pay on a going-forward basis, not for hours that have already been worked. I'd suggest that your mother-in-law contact the state department of labor if the employer implements this retroactive cut.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Thank you! That is what I thought, but I wanted to have another opinion before I told her to go through the rigormarole at the Labor Dept.

Originally posted by Marketeer View Post
      Generally, employers can only reduce an employee's pay on a going-forward basis, not for hours that have already been worked. I'd suggest that your mother-in-law contact the state department of labor if the employer implements this retroactive cut.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X