Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Employer failed to deduct taxes. Maryland

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Employer failed to deduct taxes. Maryland

    I worked for only a week at a small business in Maryland. They mailed my final check to me and they failed to deduct for Social Security, State & Federal taxes, Medicare, etc. The bookkeeper isn't very competent, so I think it's just another one of her honest mistakes.
    Does anyone have any advice for me?

    Thanks very much for your help,

  • #2
    Talk to the bookkeeper, explain the problem and ask them to fix it. You have basically been overpaid (on a net pay basis). Your employer needs to recalculate the payment, generally do a spreedsheet with "what we did", what we should have done", "difference" columns. You would normally send them a check for the net pay difference, and they would normally process the difference in a similar manner to a check cancel in their payroll system. However you cannot force them to do this, so be polite and just talk to them.

    The following is the address to a good free on-line payroll calcuator.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


    • #3
      Thanks so much. That is exactly what I thought I should do.



      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.