This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer failed to deduct taxes. Maryland

I worked for only a week at a small business in Maryland. They mailed my final check to me and they failed to deduct for Social Security, State & Federal taxes, Medicare, etc. The bookkeeper isn't very competent, so I think it's just another one of her honest mistakes.
    Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks very much for your help,
    Patty

Talk to the bookkeeper, explain the problem and ask them to fix it. You have basically been overpaid (on a net pay basis). Your employer needs to recalculate the payment, generally do a spreedsheet with "what we did", what we should have done", "difference" columns. You would normally send them a check for the net pay difference, and they would normally process the difference in a similar manner to a check cancel in their payroll system. However you cannot force them to do this, so be polite and just talk to them.

The following is the address to a good free on-line payroll calcuator.

http://www.paycheckcity.com/netpayca...calculator.asp
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thanks so much. That is exactly what I thought I should do.

Patty

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X