Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Taking money w/ out asking Washington

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Taking money w/ out asking Washington

    I just quit my job at a spa. I was there for 2 1/2 months. I just got my pay check and $250 was deducted from my paycheck. When I asked the owner about it she said that when I was hired she gave me a peice of paper that states: for every month you are at the spa up until a year. If you decide to leave I have the right to take up to $1200. If you leave within the first year. That's all it said. I don't ever remember seeing this paper and never signed anything. How do I get my money that she now thinks is her's, and what are my legal rights regaurding this?

  • #2
    I can't comment on a document that I have not read, but persumably your next step would be to either file a wage claim with state DOL or maybe small claims court. Either way at that point the legal burden of proof would be on the employer to support their deduction.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


    • #3
      I agree with DAW. Start with the Dept. of Labor and Industries in Washington. To me, this sounds like a "kickback", pure and simple which, even if Washington law doesn't prohibit the deduction outright, would be a violation of public policy.

      You should take a copy of the "agreement" to an attorney for advice on whether or not this clause is enforceable; I would be very surprised if it were.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.